Top 10...Manus x Machina



So this week's top 10 is going to be a little different than previous ones. A couple of weeks ago, I visited my boyfriend in New York and it was an incredible, art-filled weekend! One of my favorite things from the weekend was going to see the Costume Institute's exhibition at the Met, Manus x Machina. This exhibition is all about fashion in a time of technology and looking at traditional hand techniques and machine technology used together in fashion. The exhibition was so well done and I absolutely loved every second of it so I thought I would share with you my favorite ten pieces. Let me tell you, it was very difficult to narrow it down to ten pieces because I loved so many of them, but here were some of the highlights for me! XO 
1. These three dresses were displayed together, but the one on the far left is by far my favorite! It is Dior 1949-50. This dress is so stunning and is hard to capture in photos. But the colors and details on the dress are incredible. Also, I sometimes have a problem with floor length dresses because either the bodice or the skirt is beautiful and the other is only mediocre. However, this dress does it all. The bodice is simple, but perfect and the skirt is full, detailed, and perfectly colored! 

2. Of course this dress was the centerpiece of the exhibition. Seeing it online from the runway last year was amazing, but in person it was a completely new experience. The train was so long and detailed. But the dress itself was just one of those pieces that you could look at all day and still be overwhelmed. No wonder it was the centerpiece. 

3. This is Chanel 1963-68. How could I not include a classic Chanel set. I adore the tweed and the navy trim. Dream outfit for sure! 

4. This was one of the first things I saw in the exhibition. And granted, it is not the most exciting piece, but it is so classically beautiful. One of the most interesting things about this exhibition is that it was hard to look at the pieces without imagining how they would look on you. This dress I love so much because it is a style I would wear! 

5. This Chanel dress from 2005-6 was nothing short of show-stopping. Definitely not my style and I wouldn't want to wear it, but it is stunning. the combination of silk tulle and feathers was so beautiful in person and also had a wonderful three dimensional quality. I loved how there were all of these modern aspects, but the shape is so classic and conservative that it worked really well. 

6. Ahh I absolutely adore these! They are sparkly, pink and neutral and beautifully detailed! They are also one of the pieces that I would love to see on a person. On a mannequin they are beautiful, but I would love to see how they actually fall on someone's body. Also they are Alexander McQueen so what's not to love? 

 7. Yves Saint Laurent 1983. The silhouette of this dress is so simple, but I also feel like it would be flattering on a variety of body types. Also the details (in the photo below) are so beautifully done that it looks like the dress is one solid color that changes with the light! LOVE!

Details of 7's sequins

8. Obviously I love these two because they are pink, but I especially love the front one because of the interesting use of coral and the skirt. It is so intricate and detailed and such an interesting material to use in a piece of clothing. 

9. From 1928, Louiseboulanger. I am obsessed with this! The dress is so impeccably made and the feather skirt against the silk is just wonderful. I wish I could wear it for an evening! 

10. This is from Dior's 2005-6 collection. I loved this piece because it was so cool to see a deconstructed dress that was still haute couture. It is so modern because of the deconstructed aspect, but also classic because of the structure of the dress. 


Labels: , , ,