Summer Pattern Mixing

2017, OOTD, patterns, summer, polka dots, statement piece,

Hello all! Happy Saturday! Thank goodness, this week has felt impossibly long for some reason, hence the lack of posts, and I am definitely ready for a nice, relaxing weekend.  Mixing patterns is one of my favorite styles, but it can be so hard to do in the summer. It is so much easier when you have more layers to work with and can balance patterns with black tights or a chunky sweater.

2017, OOTD, patterns, summer, polka dots, statement piece,

In the summer, mixing patterns is definitely more challenging, but still fun if you can make it work. For me, the key to mixing patterns is either staying in the same color family or staying within the same pattern. If you have two completely different patterns but they are both navy and white, the combination will probably look good together. 

2017, OOTD, patterns, summer, polka dots, statement piece,

If you aren't staying in the same color family, I like to keep the patterns relatively similar so that there isn't too much going on. With this outfit, the pattern on my shoes and on my top are both polka dot-esque, but don't necessarily match color-wise. I wanted them separated, which is where the pink skirt comes in handy. 

2017, OOTD, patterns, summer, polka dots, statement piece,

After I had the skirt, shoes, and top together, I was pleased with the outfit, but it needed a little something more. This necklace was perfect because the hanging beads closely mimicked the polka dots on my shirt and made everything flow together well. 

Have a fabulous Saturday and until next time! XO

Necklace: J.Crew and it's on clearance! Top: Similar options here, here, and here; Skirt: Pink skirt options here, here, and here; Watch: Omega; Shoes: Bucketfeet

Labels: , , , , ,