Blueberry Stuffed Cupcakes


Hello all! Happy Monday, well almost Tuesday now! I am so excited to share this post with y'all. As you know, I love to bake and I've been starting to share some of my favorite recipes with y'all (many more of these to come, not to worry and I'd love any suggestions you have!) Baking has always been a passion of mine and I've tweaked recipes before, but never really gone out on a limb. For this recipe, however, I got the idea from a strawberry filled muffin recipe, which helped me form the basis of my recipe. But I tweaked it some and added my own take on the frosting. Plus, I found an awesome way to use some of the extra components. So, this is one of my first real recipes that is mine and I am so thrilled with how well these cupcakes turned out. If you try them, please let me know! I'd love to hear your thoughts! 

Ingredients:
1 cup of butter, room temperature
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup blueberry jam- I used some that had some whole blueberries in it as well for texture
4 eggs
3 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
16 oz frozen blueberries, pureed- I like using frozen blueberries because they pureed so nicely into a smoothie texture. I did let them thaw a little before though.
1/2 cup buttermilk

Filling:
32 oz. frozen blueberries, pureed. Again, I used frozen ones that my mom had picked and then frozen. It just helped with the texture I thought.
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (about one regular size lemon)
6 egg yolks, lightly beaten
1/2 cup butter, cut into 1 inch pieces

Frosting- I made a traditional cream cheese icing: 
12 oz. room temp cream cheese
8 tablespoons room temp butter
1 lb. powdered sugar
2 tsp vanilla


Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line 30 muffin tins with paper liners.
Puree 16 oz of frozen blueberries in a food processor. 
In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Beat in blueberry jam. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. You batter will be dark blue, don't worry, it is supposed to be. 
In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture, alternating with blueberry puree, beginning and ending with flour. Beat until well combined. Add buttermilk, beating to combine. Spoon into muffin tins, filling 3/4's full. I used an ice cream scoop for this and it worked perfectly. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes. Remove from pan and let cool completely on wire wrack- I do mean completely. Having a warm muffin will make the next steps difficult. 

While the cupcakes are baking, you can start the filling. Puree 32 oz of frozen blueberries. In a saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch, blueberry puree, lemon juice, and egg yolks. Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly until very thick, about 7-8 minutes. It will be purple again and should be the consistency of a thick jam or runny jello.
Remove from heat and whisk in butter until melted. Let cool slightly, cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.

After you binge watch 2 plus episodes on Netflix...

Frosting: With an electric mixer, combine cream cheese and butter. Add the vanilla and then gradually add the powdered sugar. The more powdered sugar you have, the easier to spread the frosting will be. I didn't quite use all of the powdered sugar. 

Using a cupcake corer or melon baller, scoop out about 1 tablespoon of cake from the center of each cupcake. Put aside the scoop for later. Fill the cupcake crater with chilled blueberry filling. Top with frosting...lots and lots of frosting. 

Now, with all your extra cupcake centers, jam filling, and frosting...
Take each center on a toothpick and cover the top with jam. Freeze for 15 minutes and then add a layer of cream cheese frosting. Ta DA! Cake Pops! 

Until next time, XO


Labels: , , ,