How to...Off the Shoulder

2017, summer, OOTD, how to wear, off-the-shoulder, J.Crew,
Earrings: J.Crew; Body suit: J.Crew sold out, similar here; Jeans: J.Crew; Shoes: similar here; Purse: similar here, Glasses: The View on Elm.
Hello all! I wanted a relaxing Saturday and while I was busy today, it was also productive and fairly relaxing as well. I hope y'all's Saturdays were wonderful. For this week's How to post, I wanted to talk about one of summer's biggest trend...off-the-shoulder tops. This look seems to have been everywhere lately! I love the look, but it can definitely be difficult to rock and incorporate into your wardrobe.
2017, summer, OOTD, how to wear, off-the-shoulder, J.Crew,
Hair clip: similar here; Earrings: similar here; Body suit: similar here; Skirt: similar here; Necklaces: similar here and here; Brooch: similar here; Purse: Cambridge Satchel; Shoes: Jeffrey Campbell, similar here, Glasses: The View on Elm.
I think we can all say that my style is typically pretty conservative and definitely girly- neither of which would be the first words you would use normally to describe an off-the-shoulder look. For me, whenever I try a new trend, I want to be able to experiment and branch out, but also stay true to my style. So, when looking for off-the-shoulder tops, I gravitated towards girly colors, ruffle details, and I made sure to style them in a more conservative way so I was still comfortable. 
2017, summer, OOTD, how to wear, off-the-shoulder, J.Crew,
Purse: Old Anthropologie, similar here; Earrings: Old J.Crew, similar here; Watch: Omega; Bracelets: Similar here, here, here, here,  and here; Shorts: J.Crew; Shoes: Old, similar here; Body suit: similar here; Rings: here and here; Belt: similar here; Glasses: The View on Elm.   
The biggest style advice I could ever give is to stay true to yourself. No matter what you are wearing, if it is something you love and sticks to your style, you will find a way to own it and feel comfortable doing so. When I first tried on this striped body suit, I thought no way will I wear this. It was clinging and showed quite a bit more skin then I normally show. But, at the same time, it was so cute and I had already kind of fallen in love with it. So, I took the plunge and bought it, but I had to work my way up to wearing it with shorts and a skirt and start with simpler and more conservative jeans. 
2017, summer, OOTD, how to wear, off-the-shoulder, J.Crew,
Shirt: J.Crew; Jeans: J.Crew; Shoes: Similar here and here; Purse: Save My Bag; Watch: Omega; Glasses: The View on Elm.  
For the off-the-shoulder look, make sure the top fits well- you don't want gaping and you don't want to be pulling up your top all day. If you aren't ready for both shoulders to be exposed, try a one-shouldered top and ease your way into this trend. For me, ruffles make this look. They add more detail then just a simple tube top and dress up the look enough that you have some more flexibility. That is all for now, but happy weekend! Until next time, XO. 

Labels: , , , , ,